Sunday, February 1, 2015

Experience: Yoga At Studio 108

I heard the criticisms about my weight from my lovely parents one time too many already. I'm definitely not a size 4, I know that I haven't done my part in devoting to a healthy me post-residency training, but WTF? I'm definitely not blind or oblivious to my "larger-than-life" debacle. I have developed some loathing for the gym. I hate squeezing myself in an already jam packed Zumba class, waiting for my turn at the treadmill and other machines. One night while having Saturday supper at Paseo Arcenas, I came across Studio 108.


I went home that night with a plan. Two days later, I purchased 15 sessions at Php 2,400 that was valid for 60 days. If I could stick to this then there's still hope for me. 


It's not my 1st time to do yoga. I dabbled at it while I was attending med school and eventually shied away from the mat when my schedule perpetrated the demise of any form of exercise. During the 2nd year of my residency training, a few yoga studios were established aside from Ananda Marga. I got to attend a studio near IT Park and ran into a few classmates from med school, co-residents from another department and a male consultant with his wife. The affair was short-lived in that studio. I managed to attend 3 classes under this teacher who wasn't fat-friendly. His crime was sloth to the 1st degree, failure to modify the asanas to my obvious handicap. Anyway, by the time I was resolved to give it a second chance, the studio closed.


I was really praying that I wouldn't get turned off with this studio but if I did, I'd just suck it up. The place easily had a homey feel and the receptionist as well as the owner are friendly and approachable. They offer different classes, healthy food and drinks, making it easy to choose and live a healthy lifestyle. By now I have already attended 15 classes and then some. I couldn't reach my toes when I started and my heels are way off the ground during downward dog and my shoulder sockets are screaming for mercy. Now I can proudly do both. I now long for the day when I can do the crow pose, mermaid pose, binds, full lotus pose, and the headstand. I never came from a class feeling dejected. Sweating like a pig is empowering in this case. I am so grateful for all my teachers who have made me do things that I never thought I'd be able to do and for inspiring me to practice, be patient, and trust my body that I'll be able to do the asanas in my own time. Namaste!

No comments:

Post a Comment